Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Mighty Heart

I haven't blogged about film since January. For a month or two, I wrote about every film I saw. It seems like this was a good idea, so I'll start again.

I saw Brad Pitt's A Mighty Heart on Sunday night. I wasn't quite sure what to expect: I had heard that the film was controversial, but I had not yet read any reviews. Though I knew the story of the Pearls, I didn't know much about the film.

I loved the opening of the film, he didn't wallow in the personal details. It would have been too invasive to start portraying their wedding or their lives before they moved to Karachi. They stuck to the events surrounding the kidnapping of Daniel Pearl, and they didn't let other events enter.

The footage of Karachi was very impressive. Though I'm not sure if it was filmed in Karachi, I believe it must have been. Pitt communicates the idea of living in as an ex-pat is like, the characters are all very believable.

Jolie's performance was excellent. The last film she did with Pitt was Mr and Mrs Smith, where neither character had the chance to show a lot of deep emotion, yet here Jolie had to rely on talent over sexiness to shine, and it worked great. One of my favourite scenes in the film was when she was walking down the street with Adam and Nouvelle Vague played In a Manner of Speaking. Classic... j'me paris!


8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home