Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Apocalypto

I haven't written about any of the movies I've seen lately, but not wanting to abandon this blog, I'll pick up again. I saw Apocalypto a few nights ago in theatres. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I thought the story went into he conquistadores. Actually, is almost solely about the natives on the yucatan peninsula.

The acting was excellent, especially considering none of them had ever acted before. Obviously the main actor, Jaguar Paw, and his wife were highlights. Both expressed a lot of real emotion. Other highlights include some of the jungle fight scenes, which were filmed in pretty creative, fun ways.

Gibson's portrayal of the Mayas is a bit sketchy to be honest. The Mayas were one of the most advanced civilizations, yet he depicts them as hunter-gatherers living in the forest and blood thirsty massacrists.

I wonder what Gibson's purpose for making the film was. What is it a critique on modern society? He begins and ends with the quote about a dying civilization ... Perhaps this could explain why he allowed so many historical inaccuracies - he wasn't trying to present a historical document, but a jab at Western society?

7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home