Sunday, December 10, 2006

Frida

I didn't really know much about Frida before watching this movie, or at least I didn't think I did. Actually, I've apparently been to her house, and I've seen a lot of her and Rivera's paintings.

The movie is surprisingly good. I had heard that it was boring, but to the contrary, I think the story is well told, with many interesting twists. To start, the characters are diverse and flavourful. Frida, Rivera, Leo, and others .... all intermingled with art, politics, philosophy, and sex. Second, the film took an artsy twist - there are some great animated sections that are decently surrealistic. Frida's self portraits make reoccuring appearances, which was a good idea. The symbolism was good too.

The montages, likes the characters, are full of character. Though the film is obviously not mexican, it captures the color. I love the scenes of Mexico - xoximilco, the dresses, the bars ...

Salma Hayek does an excellent job. She gets to play a seductive, yet not-cute girl who is full of pain and frustration. I'm sure it's hard.



7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home